SOLID Principles (regular)
Ruby on Rails (regular)
Ruby on Rails (regular)
Smart is a rapidly-growing fintech company transforming the retirement industry for the better. We’re changing the way people interact with their retirement savings using our award-winning platform which is powered by our inhouse technology. We’ve gone from a small start-up to a global industry-leader with over £2bn in assets under management. Join us to transform retirement, savings and financial well-being, across all generations, around the world.
- Development of new features within a smaller 8-10 person agile engineering team, always keeping in mind high quality standards and best coding practices.
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment.
- Learn about our business and develop your skills and be awesome at what you do best, code!
- Share your knowledge, occasionally pair with other Engineers – we have pairing machines
We know how challenging it can be to tick every box.
Here are a few skills that we feel would make you successful in the role, but please do not be put off from applying if you do not have every single one of them:
- Excellent knowledge of Ruby, Ruby on Rails, experience with Sidekiq
- Work experience with CI/CD technologies.
- Knowledge of relational SQL databases (MySQL).
- Ability to optimise application performance and analysis of application logs (Datadog).
- Willingness to understand business and the ability to use knowledge when working on a tasks.
- Willingness to share technological knowledge and mentoring less experienced colleagues, pair programming.
- Nice to have: Kafka, experience with cloud solutions (AWS/Heroku), Docker, Kubernetes.
We offer competitive salaries, great colleagues and excellent benefits, including:
- B2B or Employment contract
- 26 days holiday per year, plus Polish bank holidays. Two extra days holiday – Christmas Eve and New Year Eve
- 2250 PLN personal training budget every year to spend on courses or conferences or training materials
- Flexible working hours and hybrid working
- Relocation package (up to 10 k PLN)
- Private medical care including dental care
- Multisport Plus Package
- Online English lessons (within working hours)
We’re a fun and diverse engineering team that enjoys solving problems with technology and working with best practices. We’re looking for an enthusiastic Ruby Engineer to join our growing team based in Krakow. Ideally someone with commercial experience that is used to building modern applications.
Engineering at Smart
At Smart, we focus on developing high quality software that delivers the best value for our customers and we don’t cut costs – quality is essential to everything we do, working software that always works! We’re disrupting an industry that has been slow to adopt new technology and as a result we are recognised as a technology company that does pensions.
We started with a clean sheet and followed engineering best practices from the beginning. Our approach to code is simple, keep it clean and ensure it has thorough test coverage. We don’t ship code just to hit a deadline. Savings is a long term project, and we’re handling peoples retirement income, so the stability, security and accuracy of our platform is crucial. We also welcome change and innovation in engineering and are constantly adapting to suit new technologies or ways of working.
Some exciting aspects of our engineering practices are:
- We use contemporary tools such as AWS, GitHub, Semaphore CI, Datadog, Docker, Kubernetes, to name a few.
- We are able to maintain at least 96% test coverage of our application through collaboration and strong code review practices, meaning we can focus on features rather than bug fixing.
- Our team is passionate about OOP, TDD and DDD.
- We ship software continuously, releasing new features to production up to 30 times a day.
- We follow Agile practices and have a strong DevOps culture in place.
- We have great internal mobility, meaning that we are able to give you exposure to the aspects that you would like to improve on or learn about. Progression and development are key!
- We believe in diversity and inclusion, in and out. We have a diverse engineering workforce and over 80% of our Engineering team volunteered their time to be coaches at the recent Rails Girls London event – a free workshop aimed at making technology more approachable for women.
- We empower our engineers to propose new ideas. For instance, we run hackathons where in 24 hours anyone can build and present new ways of thinking to the senior management team – most of these ideas are implemented and in production today.
At Smart, we’re a diverse team spanning across four continents. We’ve grown to a team of almost 1000 talented people, all dedicated to creating the best experience for our customers and an inclusive workplace for our colleagues. We are certified by Great Place To Work, find out more here. Find out more about our culture on<a href="https://