Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to tricky problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with curious minds in a friendly environment. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
As a backend engineer on the Writing Systems team, you’ll work on novel learning features uniquely tailored to the needs of learners in courses that require learning non-roman scripts, such as Japanese, Chinese, or Arabic. You will help see projects through from brainstorming and prototyping, to deployment to millions of users. Our engineers are versatile, display leadership qualities and are enthusiastic to solve new problems across the full-stack as we continue to innovate.
- Collaborate on software projects with frontend and backend aspects and work with other engineers, designers, and language specialists
- Develop, release, and maintain backend services and/or infrastructure
- Handle individual priorities to efficiently turn ideas into prototypes and products
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- A solid foundation in computer science with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Backend programming experience in Java, Kotlin, or Python and AWS cloud computing
- Familiarity with or strong curiosity about learning a language with non-roman script (esp. Japanese or Chinese)
Outstanding candidates will have…
- 5 years of programming experience in Java, Kotlin, or Python and AWS cloud computing
- Some familiarity with iOS, Android, or web frontend programming
- Good understanding of one or more languages with non-roman scripts (esp. Japanese or Chinese) incl. written text and speaking