SOLID Principles (advanced)
Ruby on Rails (advanced)
Ruby on Rails (advanced)
Smart is a rapidly-growing fintech company transforming the retirement industry for the better. We’re changing the way people interact with their retirement savings using our award-winning platform which is powered by our inhouse technology. We’ve gone from a small start-up to a global industry-leader with over £2bn in assets under management. Join us to transform retirement, savings and financial well-being, across all generations, around the world.
- Develop new user facing features, always keeping in mind high quality standards and best coding practices.
- Be part of an 8-10 person agile engineering team, part of a wider Engineering organisation
- Help evolve development standards and practices
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment that is continuously improvement
- Help mentor and coach members of the team
- Take architectural ownership of various critical components and systems
- Overall responsible for the technical quality of what the team is producing!
We know how challenging it can be to tick every box.
Here are a few skills that we feel would make you successful in the role, but please do not be put off from applying if you do not have every single one of them:
- Significant commercial experience with Ruby, working in a Ruby on Rails environment (as a guide multiple projects experience).
- Strong comprehension of object-oriented design patterns and Domain Driven Design.
- Experience with architecting, engineering and optimizing applications in RoR.
- Familiarity with relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Familiarity with cloud solutions (AWS/Heroku), Docker, Kubernetes.
- Enjoy helping other Engineers improve and become better Engineers and humans.
- Previous experience in leading a team is useful.
- Nice to have: knowledge of microservice architecture, kafka.
We offer competitive salaries, great colleagues and excellent benefits, including:
- B2B or Employment contract
- 26 days holiday per year, plus Polish bank holidays. Two extra days holiday – Christmas Eve and New Year Eve
- 2250 PLN personal training budget every year to spend on courses or conferences or training materials
- Flexible working hours
- Relocation package (up to 10 k PLN)
- Private medical care including dental care
- Multisport Plus Package
- Online English lessons (within working hours)
Engineering at Smart
At Smart, we build working software that always works – and we do it fast! We’ve managed to thread the needle between speed and reliability, with double digit daily deploys into production and an exceptionally low rate of failure. Smart is disrupting an industry that has been particularly slow to adopt new technology. As a tech company (in culture, tools, and people) that does pensions, we’re uniquely positioned to shake things up!
We have the benefit of having adopted many engineering best practices from day 1. Our approach to code is simple: keep it small, clean, and ensure it has thorough test coverage. We don’t ship code just to hit a deadline. Pensions are a long game. We’re handling peoples retirement income, so the stability, security and accuracy of our platform is everything. But we also recognise that being able to deliver change and innovation at pace are our secret sauce!
Some interesting notes on the way we work:
- Tech check! We use AWS, GitHub, Semaphore CI, Datadog, Docker, and Kubernetes, to name a few.
- We are able to maintain at least 96% test coverage of our application through collaboration and strong code review practices, meaning we can focus on features rather than bug fixing.
- Our team is passionate about OOP, TDD and DDD.
- We ship software continuously, releasing new features to production up to 30 times a day.
- We follow Agile practices and have a strong DevOps culture in place.
- We have great internal mobility, meaning that we are able to give you exposure to the aspects that you would like to improve on or learn about. Progression and development are key, and we really invest in education!
- We believe in diversity and inclusion, in and out. We have a diverse engineering workforce and over 80% of our Engineering team volunteered their time to be coaches at the recent Rails Girls London event – a free workshop aimed at making technology more approachable for women.
- We empower our engineers to propose new ideas. For instance, we run hackathons where in 24 hours anyone can build and present new ways of thinking to the senior management team – most of these ideas wind up being implemented and put into production!
At Smart, we’re a diverse team spanning across four continents. We’ve grown to a team of almost 1000 talented people, all dedicated to creating the best experience for our customers and an inclusive workplace for our colleagues. We are certified by Great Place To Work, find out more here. Find out more about our culture on<a href="https://