Ruby on Rails (master)
- Significant commercial experience with Ruby, working in a Ruby on rails environment (as a guide multiple projects over, with 10+ years of experience)
- Seen as an Expert within the Ruby Community
- Deep understanding of object-orientated programming
- Desire to work with Domain Driven Design
- Love to work using TDD
- Enjoy helping other Engineers improve their programming abilities
- Understanding of relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of web design patterns
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Previous experience in mentoring and growing Engineers
- Most importantly, a desire to learn, grow, working with an amazing team and deliver software
- Develop new user facing features.
- Engineer a better code base with your team
- Collaborate across Product and Engineering teams to provide technical direction and architectural input into product development roadmaps
- Provide technical coaching and mentorship across engineering teams cultivating an environment of innovation and collaboration
- Support multiple Engineering teams with detailed technical implementation advice and direction where needed
- A Code Guardian – overall responsible for the technical quality of what Engineers within the area of the platform you focus on
- Deep understanding of the technical capabilities of the area of the platform. Able to communicate with Product and help flesh out any requirements
- Work on tickets assigned to you, this includes writing code and specs (tests) and checking that new code passes other test coverage – plan to spend at least 50% of your time writing code
- Help evolve development standards and practices
- Take architectural ownership of various critical components and systems
- Review Pull Requests from other developers.
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment that is continuously improving
- Represent Smart Pension in the wider Ruby community
We started with a clean sheet and followed engineering best practices from the beginning. Our approach to code is simple, keep it clean and ensure it has thorough test coverage. We don’t ship code just to hit a deadline. Savings is a long term project, and we’re handling peoples retirement income, so the stability, security and accuracy of our platform is crucial. We also welcome change and innovation in engineering and are constantly adapting to suit new technologies or ways of working.
Some exciting aspects of our engineering practices are:
- We use contemporary tools such as AWS, GitHub, Semaphore CI, Datadog, Docker, Kubernetes, to name a few.
- We are able to maintain at least 96% test coverage of our application through collaboration and strong code review practices, meaning we can focus on features rather than bug fixing.
- Our team is passionate about OOP, TDD and DDD.
- We ship software continuously, releasing new features to production up to 30 times a day.
- We follow Agile practices and have a strong DevOps culture in place.
- We have great internal mobility, meaning that we are able to give you exposure to the aspects that you would like to improve on or learn about. Progression and development are key!
- We believe in diversity and inclusion, in and out. We have a diverse engineering workforce and over 80% of our Engineering team volunteered their time to be coaches at the recent Rails Girls London event – a free workshop aimed at making technology more approachable for women.
- We empower our engineers to propose new ideas. For instance, we run hackathons where in 24 hours anyone can build and present new ways of thinking to the senior management team – most of these ideas are implemented and in production today.
- 26 days holiday per year, plus Polish bank holidays. Two extra days holiday – Christmas Eve and New Year Eve
- 2250 PLN personal training budget every year to spend on courses or conferences or training materials
- Flexible working hours
- Relocation package
- Private medical care including dental care
- Multisport Plus Package
- Online English lessons (within working hours)