Kafka (nice to have)
SOLID Principles (regular)
SOLID Principles (regular)
Who we are
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher.
We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability. And we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
Be part of the publishing revolution and help us transform the way research is published, evaluated, and communicated to the world.
Who are we looking for
We are looking for a smart, communicative person with a dynamic mindsetwhois able to work independently in a highly innovative and fast-paced environment to fulfil the role of an R&D Software Engineer and expand our Publishing Operations – Core Architecture team.
We believe that the right person should have a natural curiosity to learn new things and should be happy to share the knowledge and act as a trainer when needed.
Strong development background with an inclination towards good development practices, good knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming, SOLID principles, design patterns will be most important.
What you will do/role description
- As an R&D Software Engineer with .NET, you will be working together with the Solutions Architect, other Software Engineers, Data Engineers, and others as part of the Core Architecture team within the Publishing Operations development unit.
- You will research and develop cross-product components, prototypes, frameworks, or applications to support the other Product Development teams or to be used by business users.
- You will also rebuild parts of our platform using Microsoft based technologies (.NET Core/C#, Azure, MSSQL) as well as open source (Hasura, PostgreSQL, Camunda, Kafka, MongoDB) and share ownership of the cross-product architecture layer.
- You will work in a fast-paced environment while juggling several different tasks and initiatives simultaneously. Innovation and green-field development will become part of your daily job. You will be expected to support product teams’ developers in using your components as well as collaborating with other external teams to accomplish cross-team goals.
- You will be expected to explore new technologies that you never worked with and to go outside your comfort zone, to use fast-prototyping methods to deliver your result.
We make conscientious decisions to adopt new technologies so your work will revolve around .NET, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Camunda, Azure, DevOps Server but we are also considering adopting Java or NodeJS as a part of our future stack. Our newest adoption to the tech stack is Hasura and our newest assessments are for the adoption of CloudEvents, Kafka, Camunda Cloud.
You can have a look at our full technology stack by visiting our Technology Radar web page: Tech Radar | Frontiers.
- Masters or bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience
- Outstanding problem-solving abilities
- Good written/verbal communication in English, presentation, listening, and decision-making skills, with strong ability and passion for interacting with engineering as well as business teams
- Knowledge of “clean-code” best practices, SOLID principles, and software design patterns
- Experience with .NET/C# in the context of web applications and microservices architecture
- Experience with any messaging platforms (RabbitMQ, Azure Service Bus, Kafka, etc.)
- Experience with any relational database engines (e.g. MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL) and any non-relational database engines (e.g. MongoDB, CosmosDB, Elastic Search)
- Familiarity with cloud technologies (Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Basic knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes
- Basic understanding of DevOps practices
Nice to have Requirements:
- Experience with Event-Driven Architecture
- Experience with Kafka/Kafka Connect/kSQL
- Experience with Workflow Automation Engines or business process modelling tools (Camunda or similar)
With more than 50 nationalities represented in our global team, you will work regularly with teammates in other countries, and with our community of researchers, editors, and authors from around the globe.
Our mission to create solutions for healthy lives also extends to the working environment we provide for our employees.
- 100% remote working – Employees now have the flexibility to choose where they want to work, with remote working available on a part- or full-time basis (not applicable to some Business Support jobs due to nature of role).
- Learning and development – All employees have access to LinkedIn Learning (and Pluralsight for our technology team), an annual personal learning budget, and dedicated L&D time.
- Wellbeing – We offer free online yoga classes, an employee assistance plan, access to the Headspace app, and four wellbeing days on top of your annual leave allowance.
- Volunteering opportunities – Employees can dedicate three days each year to volunteer for a personal cause or through our volunteering partner platform, Alaya.