Medical Science Liaison - Oncology
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
As a Medical Science Liaison you will be responsible for providing medical and scientific support regarding AstraZeneca’s (AZ’s) marketed products and compounds in development to a variety of stakeholders both internal and external to the organization. Your responsibilities will also include engaging in-depth medical and scientific product or disease area discussions, and presentations in a non-promotional scientific context
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage Key External Experts (KEEs), Health Care Practitioners (HCPs) and other external stakeholders by proactively providing on-label scientific updates and information on AZ disease areas and marketed products as part of non-promotional scientific exchange
- Communicate with impact by
- translating complex science into compelling, impactful, easily understood messages and
- delivering communications that are personalized to the interest of external stakeholders and when needed / appropriate to internal stakeholders
- Respond to unsolicited requests for information about unapproved AZ products or unapproved uses of approved products. Presenting such information in an objective, scientifically balanced and substantiated manner
- Provide scientific support in educational events and through appropriate medical sponsorships
- Organize and lead scientific exchange meetings or regional advisory boards
- Develop and implement a KEE engagement plan in collaboration with Medical Manager / Therapeutic Area Lead. Include in the plan details around contact with KEE including the pre-call plan with clear objectives for the interaction, key points for discussion, and details on the medical or scientific data to be shared and discussed
- Participating as scientific speakers at external meetings consistent with the Global MSL Standard
- Perform disease insights visits with external stakeholders to gain understanding of their involvement in a disease area, including therapeutic options, treatment and classes used, medical gaps, external stakeholder needs or the needs of patients
- Demonstrate deep connectivity to clinical practice / healthcare delivery
- Proactively identify KEEs with high levels of scientific expertise in local treatment practice to collaborate on activities consistent with the local Field Medical Strategic Plan
- Build AZ relationship with key external stakeholders (e.g. patient advocacy groups, key medical organisations, hospital pharmacy) consistent with Medical Affairs’ objectives. Find opportunities to collaborate with such external stakeholders
- Monitor database of KEEs and provide recommendations for advisory board members
- Collaborate with Medical Manager and SM&M team to identify pre-clinical, clinical, and post-marketing study investigators in alignment with Medical Activity Plan
- Provide information to investigator/potential investigators on the existence of Externally Sponsored Research (ESR) and Open Innovation (OI) programs
- Work with KEEs, HCPs in scientific and clinical trial activities that help support study recruitment, development and understanding
- Provide understanding of clinical practice trends and actionable (strategic) information or insight that supports the local product/compound strategy
- Based on the need, support appropriate AZ staff training on clinical data, trends in clinical practice within TA
- Provide relevant and timely feedback on KEE/HCP interactions using available resources
- Share insights from relevant medical activities that impact medical strategy with cross-functional team as agreed
- Maintain and develop medical/scientific expertise in disease state management, AZ products, emerging therapies, and the competitive landscape
- Continually develop ability to communicate in a variety of situations with various stakeholders
- Identify areas for self-development and discuss developmental needs with the line manager
- University degree in science or clinical qualification, with relevant scientific experience
- Ability to interact with and manage a range of stakeholders both internally and externally
- Demonstrated expertise in discussing scientific content and context to a variety of audiences
- Established project management ability
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership and management capabilities
- Ability to travel (varies with geographic responsibility)
- Intermediate English knowledge
- Advanced degree in Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine or equivalent
- Familiarity and/or experience with the pharmaceutical industry, it’s regulatory environment, clinical research, disease state and treatments and the area of the field medical science liaisons
- Experience working on cross-functional teams
- Two+ years of experience as a Medical Science Liaison in the pharmaceutical industry
- Excellent Presentation, Facilitation and Instructional Skills
PERSONAL COMPETENCIES /SKILLS:
- Therapy area knowledge is advantage
- Communicating with impact
- Being connected to medical practice
- Motivated by customer-facing role
- Good Planning and Organisational Skills
WHAT WE OFFER?
- Innovative place to work
- Great team
- Competitive salary and bonus
- Laptop, phone,
- Continuous growing possibilities.
- Company car
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
So, what’s next!
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours
Where can I find out more?
- Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
- Inclusion & Diversity: https://careers.astrazeneca.com/inclusion-diversity
- Career Site: https://careers.astrazeneca.com/