Machine Learning (advanced)
Machine Learning (advanced)
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. Innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners, and people, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
The Tel Aviv Machine Learning Canter is looking for data savvy professionals to join our team of data scientists. You will have the opportunity to build data products that will be used across various departments of our business to help us predict and understand our customers’ behavior, enabling us to offer them the most relevant personalized experience.
Machine learning projects at CML cover topics such as recommendation systems, computer vision, natural language understanding, reinforcement learning and more.
As a Machine Learning Scientist, you are a subject-matter expert in the theory behind one or more of the following areas of machine intelligence: Computer Vision/NLP, and their implementation as end-to-end products that generate direct business impact. You define the strategy and vision for how to generate outsized impact through automated intelligence for a product by driving a research agenda and development plan from ideation to prototyping to full productionisation.
You will thrive at Booking.com if you are result-focused, innovative, and with a solid quantitative background, but most of all by understanding our complex business model and the logic behind it.
- Develop the strategy and research plan for machine intelligence on a product family by designing innovative ML/AI models, algorithms, and approaches that deliver both short-term commercial impact and longer-term differentiated business value and customer experiences.
- Document and share the findings and generalize these technologies into reusable frameworks.
- Translate broad business problems into ML/AI challenges and identify the best approach within the constraints of the production environment.
- Independently define and build proof-of-concepts to test new ideas and demonstrate their potential value to relevant stakeholders.
- Drive the end-to-end execution of the ML/AI development process on products, from understanding product requirements, data discovery, model development and evaluation, to implementation of a full production pipeline for both batch and stream-based deployment.
- Develop production-grade machine learning code, from models to features and pipelines, allowing for scalability, real-time, monitoring and retraining.
- -Monitor product health, performance and business impact and act accordingly when requirements are not met.
- Build readable and reusable code, choosing the right technologies, coding methodologies, and approach from carefully designed rapid prototyping to software deployment at scale.
- Maintain a highly cross-disciplinary perspective, solving issues by applying approaches and methods from across a variety of ML/AI disciplines and related fields. Coach others through evidence and clear communication, explaining advanced technical concepts in simpler terms.
- Identify underlying issues and opportunities across domains and situations through application of structured thinking and logic, and drive concrete improvements. Guide and support colleagues dealing with complex scenarios.
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in ML/AI and related technologies, introducing them to the machine learning community and promoting their application in areas where they can generate impact.
- Actively contribute to Machine Learning at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues.
- Push for improvements, scaling and extending machine learning tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams.
- Strong subject matter expertise in one or more of the following areas of ML/AI (Computer Vision/Natural Language Processing/Understanding).
- Ability to design an applied research plan for a product family from scratch as evidenced by peer-review publication or similar track record.
- Strong relevant work or academic experience (MSc + 5 years of working experience, or PhD + 2 years), involved in the development and application of Machine Learning.
- Master’s degree, PhD, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g., Computer Science, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, Physics, etc.).
- Experience on multiple machine learning facets: working with large data sets, model development, statistics, experimentation, data visualization, optimization, software development.
- Experience collaborating cross functionally in the development of machine learning products (e.g., Developers, UX specialists, Product Managers, etc.).
- Strong working knowledge of Python, Hadoop, SQL, Spark, or similar big data technologies.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Performance-based company that offers career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits
- Diverse, unique colleagues from every corner of the world
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Pre-Employment Screening: If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the open position at Booking.com.