SelfDecode is a well-funded biotech startup in the personalized health space. We build software to help interpret peoples’ genetics, lab tests, and symptoms in order to give personalized health recommendations. Our primary goal is to give people the tools they need to live healthier and better lives.
- We are a flat organization and prioritize efficiency.
- We work as a team and every input and suggestion is taken into account, no matter who it comes from.
- We thrive on open communication and dedication.
- We are a meritocracy and people who show good abilities or skills can move up in the organization fast, get raises, etc…
- We expect people to work full-time without side gigs.
- We expect the applicant to have a long-term relationship with our company.
- We expect the applicant to be proactive and autonomous.
- We do not micromanage.
- Dishonesty is not tolerated at all, and we thrive on trust.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated manager to take a lead role at a fast-growing, innovative biotechnology company. As DevOps Manager/Architect, you will manage the DevOps team’s delivery of infrastructure, security, CI/CD, and internal tooling services to meet the needs of the business developed in consultation with our research scientists, computational biologists, front-end, and back-end teams.
The DevOps Manager/Architect will manage the evolution and operations of the company’s production and development environments. Responsibilities will include delivering a scalable, resilient, and cost-effective architecture and building a team of first-class professionals by guiding and leading, planning career paths, and improving the hiring process.
The Role Is:
- Fully remote
- No agencies
- Euro hours
- Salary: From $60k – $120k per year, in accordance with abilities, skills, experience, level of English proficiency, and location. Equity is also available.
- Managing the team of DevOps engineers.
- DevOps project planning and management with best practices in mind: prioritize work based on business and developer requirements.
- Effectively communicating with multiple teams, departments, and management representatives.
- Be the team voice in meetings.
- Mentor team members in terms of their personal development, goals, and advancement.
- Developing and delivering on OKRs and/or KPIs.
- Hire, develop and retain top talent. Set objectives, manage performance and coach your team to help them achieve their career goals.
- Oversee delivery of projects, ensure high quality, on time and on budget delivery and customer satisfaction.
- Mitigation of delivery risks and issues.
Required Skills & Experience:
- At least 6 years experience in DevOps, SysOps, or related roles.
- Excellent soft skills necessary in order to be an effective team leader, such as:
- General understanding of the technologies involved in our projects:
- Containerized applications
- Infrastructure as code
- Microservices architecture
- Solid hands on experience delivering business value to customers with DevOps or Cloud solutions.
- Has presented to Sr. Managers/Directors as well as to technical subject matter experts. Routinely engages at these levels with customers, as well as with their consulting partners.
- Deep understanding of cloud computing change management challenges and solutions.
- Deep and advanced experience and understanding of leading Agile ecosystems (SAFE, Scrum, Kanban) and Lean systems thinking.
- Working knowledge of software development life cycle (SDLC) and agile/iterative methodologies required. Scrum Master experience a plus.
- Able to lead and contribute to the creation of best practices, packaged offering, white papers, workshops, etc.
- Demonstrated creativity and ability to develop innovative solutions to complex business and technology problems.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills Strong organizational and project management skills with an ability to manage numerous, competing demands from internal and external stakeholders and customers.
- Cloud-based security and privacy best practices.
- HIPAA, GDPR, and other relevant compliance experience.
- Python, React, Docker and/or Terraform, AWS CloudFormation.
- Security / Networking / Development.
- ITIL / IT management best practices.
- Startup experience.
- Managing penetration testing, response, and mitigation.
Your Time Zone:
Important: Share your LinkedIn profile. Having an up-to-date LinkedIn profile will make you a more competitive applicant!
Our typical hiring process looks like this:
- Screening tests & questionnaires
- Interview & resume vetting
- Test task
Our hiring process is heavily focused on screening tests instead of interviews. So instead of three to five interviews that are typical for many companies, we typically just have the screening tests and two interviews.
The screening tests help us predict if you are able to solve complex problems and reason well. You will be prompted to take our screening tests as soon as you fill out the questionnaire.
The way the tests are designed is that each stage has a disqualification so that if you don’t pass, you can’t progress to the next stage.
We do not consider applicants who don’t pass our screening tests, so please be sure to make it to the end.
You cannot take a break mid-test, but you can take a break in between tests and come back.
- Devops Experience (±1 min)
- Git Test (±5 min)
- AWS Test (±5 min)
- Logic Puzzle (±20 min)
- Logic Puzzle 2 (±25 min)
- Logic Passages (±20 min)
- Logic Passages 2 (±25 min)
In total, this should take a little over 90 minutes to complete. These tests replace one to two interviews that would otherwise take place. Also, keep in mind that most people get kicked out early as a result of failing one of the tests.
Anyone who does well on these tests and has the proper experience detailed in this job post will get an email within a few days to book a technical interview.
If you’re up for the challenge, then we invite you to apply!
Note: Please complete the application and pre-screening within one week of starting.